After a year of fundraising and preparing we opened our first Bike Track at Tokoroa Central School in February 2017. In 2020 we opened a Pump track for our students to use to extend their skills.
All students are taught a variety of bike and safety skills within the classroom programme. Bikes are available for students to ride during lunch times.
Some of the benefits to the Bikes In Schools Programme.
- Raises the confidence, self-esteem and resilience of pupils through a fun activity
- Delivers health and wellbeing outcomes for the pupils (and staff)
- Provides an opportunity to self-manage risks within a safe environment
- Instils the habit of using a bike for basic transportation
- Results in the children and extended family biking more often
- Pupils gain knowledge, skills and confidence to ride safely for when they might ride outside of school
A further Skills track is being fundraised for currently with the hope of being opened at the end of 2017/beginning 2018